20 May 2010

Warning for Dog and Cat Owners - NOT A JOKE

Share this with your friends who have pets ...
  
 
    
 
 
 
Please   tell  every dog or cat owner you know. Even if  you  don't have a pet,  please pass this to those  who  do.
 
Over  the weekend,   the doting owner of two young lab  mixes  purchased Cocoa Mulch  from Target to   use in their garden. The dogs loved the way   it  smelled and it was advertised to  keep cats away  from  their garden. Their dog  (Calypso) decided the  mulc h smelled good  enough  to eat and devoured a  large  helping.  She vomited a few  times which  was typical  when she eats something  new but wasn't  acting lethargic in any way.  The  next day, Mom  woke up and took   Calypso out for her morning   walk . Half way  through the walk, she had a seizure and  died instantly.
 
Although  the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label,    upon further investigation on the company's website, this  product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and  cats.
 
Cocoa  Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's,  and they claim that  "It is true that studies have shown that 50%  of the dogs  that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer  physical   harm  to a variety of  degrees (depending on each  individual dog).   However, 98% of all dogs won't  eat it."
 

 
*Snopes  site gives  the  Following information:
 
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp *
 
Cocoa  Mulch,  which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's   Garden Supply and other Garden supply  stores contains  a  lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'.  It   is lethal to dogs and  cats. It smells like chocolate and  it really  attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff  and die.  Several deaths already occurred in the  last  2-3  weeks.
 
Theobromine  is in   all chocolate, especially dark or  baker's  chocolate which is  toxic to dogs. Cocoa  bean  shells contain potentially toxic  quantities  of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in  effects to caffeine and theophylline.  A dog that   ingested a lethal quantity of garden  mulch made from  cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died  17 hours later.  Analysis of the stomach contents  and  the ingested cacao bean shell  revealed the  presence of lethal  amounts of  theobromine.
 
   
 
**PLEASE  PASS THIS ON**

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...