07 May 2011

Relay for Life

Relay for Life was wonderful except for the fact that when it came to the speakers, they were all long winded! Honesly, we stood for over an hour and my legs were totally killing me something fierce but the time it came to do the walk!

The walk itself was very moving to me, people lined the the edge of the walkway clapping and cheering as we Survivors and Caregivers did the first lap. I was okay at first intil I saw saddness and pity in the eyes of some people cheering us on. Then things began to race in my mind – the announcement that one of the volunteers mother had a relapse of her cancer and died this past Wednesday, the Banner for “Principal Woody Koonce” whom I knew and was the brother of a friend, all the bags that lined the path with names of people who had died of cancer, of how once you have cancer it is likely to come back, and then they played the song “You Lift Me Up” by Josh Groban – that in itself tore me up! It was all I could do to keep from crying!

It really was shocking to see the amount of Survivors and Caregivers there were in that lap! Way too many!

One funny thing that happened was – a lady at my dinner table asked me if the two caregivers sitting with me were my sons! I laughed and said “One is my son and the other is m husband!” That made my husband feel good when I told him!


Burton and Riley (who looks like my body guard!)


The not so little ole me


Burton and Riley

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...