15 April 2017

Celebrating Holidays

I just finished reading a blog on "Why do We Celebrate Easter" and found it quite  thought provoking. I have provided the link if you are interested in reading it.

Why do we celebrate easter?

Being as I tend to do things somewhat different than most I enjoyed reading it and here is my reply to it... hope you enjoy it!


My family doesn’t really celebrate Christmas in the commercialized way ( it tends to sneak up on us before we realize it is here), we have a tree because I like a tree, in fact I still have mine up right now for two reasons: 1) It is a light source coming from that area of the room) and 2) it has a special meaning to me…. reminds me of when I lived in the mountains of Upstate NY at a Bible School that was located in the woods in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and back then we had tons of snow (the snow levels have shrunk since I left, no kidding! Every time I call up there during the winter they have a snow storm and I went for a visit this Fall and they got a lot more snow than usual! 😀 ). I loved seeing the snow on the pine trees and taking long hikes in the woods in very deep snow. We don’t give gifts, neither of our families get together with us – husband’s brothers go to their wives family’s houses, my sons have moved and live far away, we do often get together with friends for dinner and if not then we just fix dinner for us and kick back. When I was a child I use to watch all the religious movies that actually came on TV back then: The Greatest Story ever told, Ten Commandments, the Robe, Ben Hur. etc (it was usually just me) and that is something I still do most of the time, it is my own tradition of sorts, it always made me feel closer to God. We’ve tried to participate in helping feed the homeless but were told that many of the usual groups either don’t do it anymore because there are so many Churches in our area taking care of the homeless during the holidays that they had such a small turn out or they have down scaled and you have to sign up months and months ahead of time to help out.

As for Easter, I don’t like that name because it is the name of a fertility goddess and yes, just like Christmas, Easter was christianized by Constantine when he made Christianity the State Church (because his mother became a Christian) even though he was still a practicing pagan. We celebrate this holiday the same as Christmas. This year I have been watching a different Gospel movie each day and other Christian movies, I feel closer to God and learn a lot at the same time.

Our church is a very small and growing church and are in our first building. We have a Street team that goes out every Wednesday evening to a nearby shopping center to gather prayer requests from people that we talk to and then go back to the church and pray over them. Being new to the area there we had a Friday evening service which was open to the neighborhoods around us in which Matthew 26:1 – 27:65 was read aloud. A few came. Saturday night we will have our regular Christian Coffeehouse Christian Concert with live music and Sunday we will have our regular Sunday service which will be about the Resurrection then some of us will gather at someone’s house for dinner and fellowship. My husband goes to speak at a Nursing facility every Sunday in the late afternoon and will do so this Sunday, too.

To me it’s not a traditional way of celebrating the Holy Week, it is more personal.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...